DEPARTMENT: FINANCE AND ADMIN
POSITION : FINANCE INTERN
REPORTING TO: FINANCE OFFICER
Under the direct supervision of the Finance Officer and the overall direction of the Finance and Admin Manager, the Finance Intern will be responsible for assisting in the management of the financial affairs of the organization. He/she will work closely with the Finance officer to ensure that all tasks associated with the Finance and Admin department are carried out efficiently. The specific responsibilities of the position include but not limited to the following;
- Preparation of vouchers- the finance intern shall be responsible for the preparation of various finance vouchers which shall include inter alia disbursement vouchers, journal vouchers, petty cash vouchers and receipt vouchers. The incumbent shall ensure that all supporting documents are attached and that the necessary approval and authorisations are done.
- Transactions processing – the financial intern shall on a daily basis assist in the processing of financial transactions in the accounting system
- Petty cash – finance intern shall maintain the petty cash fund and ensures that there are no unauthorised use of the fund.
- Reconciliations – assist in the preparation of monthly reconciliations which include bank reconciliations by the 10th of the following month, staff and suppliers advance account reconciliations by the 24th of every month, and staff leave report by the 24th of every month.
- Statutory payments – ensures that all statutory payments and returns are submitted before the 10th of the following month. These includes PAYE by the 10th of every month, NSSA by the 10th of every month, Withholding tax by the 10th of every month.
- Filing – ensures that all documents are properly filed and that files are properly labelled for easy retrieval and reference. The finance intern shall also ensure that all documents are stamped ‘PAID’ and ‘POSTED’ before filling
- Asset and inventory management – the finance intern shall ensure that all assets are tagged and that the asset register is constantly updated and current. He/she shall also assist in maintaining an updated inventory register. The finance intern shall also be required to compile weekly fuel usage reconciliation reports for approval by the Finance and Admin Manager.
The employer may from time to time issue specific standing or ad hoc instructions on the manner in which the Employee should perform any specified tasks. Any such instructions will be deemed incorporated into this clause of the contract.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
The incumbent should be a holder of a Diploma/Degree in accounting from a reputable institution or studying towards an undergraduate BAcc, BCom, BTech; have good communication skills; ability to use the Microsoft Packages i.e. Excel, Word; etc.; ability to use Sage Pastel will be an added advantage. Ability to work under pressure and put in extra hours.
Interested candidates should submit a motivational letter and a Detailed Curriculum Vitae to the following email address; firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line clearly labelled Finance Intern. Deadline for submission of applications is Wednesday, the 29th of March 2019.